Tuesday, June 25, 2013

adventurelife!

"So you gon' da Uganda?"

What have I done? Why did I think this was a good idea?

After 29 hours of travel, I finally got off the plane in Africa. Another couple hours of travel (kill me) found me safely at my new home. It's a little compound with a big wall and a gate that's guarded by a native guy. It feels pretty secure, Mom :) It's got a cute exterior and certainly stands out as the nicest place for blocks around--though that mostly means that sheet metal is not one of the major construction materials. The area seems a little rough.

Once I got inside, it really hit me: What was I thinking, moving out here? I seem to have finally remembered that I'm... not... "low maintenance." I'm not sure that this is my thing. I'm in a tiny room with six girls bunking on top of each other. We have no shelves, drawers, or storage space. We all share a bathroom similarly lacking in space to put things. And the kitchen.... I'll try and upload some pictures soon.

What have I done?? What exactly am I trying to prove to myself?

Of course, it's not all bad. The other girls are great. They've been here for a couple days and have been helped me get situated. They all agree that things will look better in the morning light, haha. I'm sure once I get settled in, get a shower, find some money and some food, and hit the gym, I'll feel better. But for the moment, I'm mostly just feeling like a spoiled American who misses home.

You want me to do six weeks of whaaat?

No comments:

Post a Comment